Tuesday, December 31, 2019

What 2019 Taught me


2019 has probably been one of the worst years in my life 
OR 
The best thing that could have happened to me if I want to look at "the positives that come out from every bad situation" Them whole 2019 year has had a lot of positives. LOL 
Everything it has taught me is probably things that most people already know about but the difference here is between reading it somewhere and me experiencing it. 

Anyway, a few highlights to ponder over

#Be present in the moment

This is something that most people these days do not even realise that they are not present in the moment. Surfing on your mobile while sitting at a restaurant with someone is the obvious type of guess that would come to mind to most but if you look deeper into this, when was the last time you experienced something. Like do you remember what your toothpaste tasted like today? or what is the smell that is currently around you? Can you sense the temperature around you (before you read this) It is said that more present you are with everything you do the better life gets, well let's see if I can even master a little bit of this, being conscience that you are not present is I guess one step closer to actually being present and hopefully soon master some of the art at least soon.

#People will judge you no matter what.

This is something all humans do, you will be judged by your friends, family, loved ones, colleagues and even the random people you don't know. Just the fact that they have an opinion about anything and everything is enough to have judgment passed. 

The eye-opener for me especially this year was most of the judgments passed were not based on what actually happed but probably something that the other person experienced themselves or what they think that society deemed right. It only later that I realized that most of the judgments were their shortcomings or to put it, in other words, experiences and reactions from their past towards the situation and if only they saw the mirror in each case they would know for sure. I too may have been biased in some situations unknowingly but at least I would like to believe that I am always open to listening to the other side of the story.

#Most people will jump to conclusions without knowing the whole story.

Something similar to above. This has happened to me both personally and professionally in very big events this year. Probably this has happened in the past as well but what was different about me this year was the lack of will to fight and prove to the other person that they had read the whole thing from just one perspective. In both the events that happened, I offered and probably insisted as well that they listen to what I had to say. In the end, those people had already made up their minds and passed on judgment and a sentence even before anything I had to say was heard. I think a fair listening is a must anywhere, then to each their own to make their own opinion. Lesson from this is there are always two sides to the story, so next time someone talks about a person be not in a rush to judge till you have heard the other side to the story. Anyway, I decided that I will let Karma deal with all of them, my conscience is clear.

#Do not depend on others to make you happy.

This is one of the most difficult ones for me to learn. For those who know me, I am a peoples person and I love having people around with me to share in the experiences be it good or bad. My problem of being emotionally dependant on one or a few has let me down big time especially this year. Do I know how to be happy by myself, well not yet which is funny cause someone told me I was a selfish person and only thought of myself. I guess they did not know the difference between self-care and selfishness or maybe I don't. 

#You can't force people to love you

The statement says it all, you might give it your all but if the other person does not care then you can keep trying but they will never see the love that you have for them. In fact, to the contrary, they will see negatives in even the things that were once loved by them. While it probably hurts when your there in that situation but trust me, in the long run, it's their loss.

#7star holidays mean nothing without your loved ones

Well, a 7 star might be better than 5 star better than a 3 star but if the holiday is a lonely one and no one to share the moments with then those stars count as nothing compared to the times spent with people who love you. At the end of the day, all that you will be left with is memories and nothing else. Like I said earlier I still need to figure how to be happy by myself so maybe this might change once that does.

#Sharing your problems can lessen the burden

A lot and I really mean a lot of people came to my rescue this year, taking precious time out of their lives to listen to me, if not for that I am not sure where I would have been this year. I thank God and may he bless all of them with his abundance. 

People also say "keep your problems to yourself" but honestly, if you have nothing to hide it should not matter what people say or think. People who matter will help no matter what even if it's just giving a listening ear. I have also come across so many people this year who were in a similar situation, some even in worse states and speaking to all its very clear, its ok to ask for help and even seek professional help.

#Remember the people who took time out to help you.

This is an obvious one, when you are down think of all the people who took their time out to meet you, speak with you, advise you or just be there for you. These are your true friends. The more successful you get more people will make time for you. That is purely out of their needs and not you.

#Social media is a complete waste of time.

Gained absolutely nothing from social media except that the whole world has gone crazy and everyone is out to get each other. Switch off all social media for a week and you will know what I mean. I am not 100% off it but I can say usage had come down quite dramatically. 

# Don’t trust people who post too much or nothing on social media 

Not sure if "don't trust" is the right word for it or just be vary of them. The ones who overpost, I feel are really lacking something real in their lives, so are looking for appreciation from strangers about their filter filled lives. And the ones who do not post anything really want to keep super reserved lives, I respect that too but it does make me doubt why nothing at all? I am sure there is something that you can share with the rest of the world once in a way.

# Don’t trust people who have nothing on their personal phones/laptops.

Be very careful of people who delete all messages and clean their browsers every few minutes they always have something to hide. I am not one who recommends snooping on your partner's, colleagues or friend's phone but if you think about it you only have to keep deleting things if you have something to hide. 

#The past is the past be it positive or negative 

Another statement that gets thrown around so often. We are who we are today because of our past and how we have reacted to it. A person who goes through a bad event will feel the same thing coming at even the smallest of signs that were similar to that bad event and would have their defenses up immediately. It is how and why we judge others, there is no way around it than to be aware the not all similar situations are the same.  This comes back to point one where you need to be present in the moment, each day is new one and each experience can be a new one only if you let it. 

#Do not change for anyone except yourself 

Last but not the least, we all grow through life and you will change no matter if you can accept it or not or if you can even observe it or not. Our core beings, however, stay the same and changing your likes or belief’s for someone else does not always end up well. Change only if you want to change and you feel good and positive about the change. If not its not worth losing who you are in the long run.


Here is saying good bye to 2019 and hoping for a positive and fun-filled 2020. The teen's are done, welcome to the youth.





No comments:

Post a Comment